Returning from San Diego Comic Con 2015, 343 Industries has provided us some more Halo news in this weeks community update. Bravo gives us some more details on a physical disc option for the Halo 5: Guardians Limited Collector’s Edition, a brief Halo MCC playlist update, a recap of the news and events from SDCC, a look at the design process behind the new multiplayer map Raid on Apex 7 for Warzone, and the announcement of a Halo 5: Guardians Invitational at Gamescom.
In the last community update 343 told us that they heard the community’s feedback and informed us they had been working to provide a solution for those who prefer a physical disc with their copy of the Limited Collector’s Edition for Halo 5: Guardians. Today, they announced that there will be an option to exchange their digital copy from the LCE for a physical disc copy at no additional cost. Prior to this announcement, the LCE was going to ship with a code for a digital copy of the game – despite also coming with a steel book disc case. Additional details on the exchange process will be revealed later this summer and as we get closer to launch.
Currently, the LCE version of Halo 5: Guardians is set to release a week prior to launch on October 20th, 2015. This was to allow for fans to redeem and pre-load their digital copy of the game so that the game would be ready to go on October 27th when Halo 5 launches (and the other editions are released).
The next featured playlist for Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be Action Sack, which is currently receiving some finishing touches from the playlist team. Bravo also told us that
We’re looking to make some tweaks and changes to voting options across additional playlists based on feedback you’ve shared – we’ll talk details as we get closer to the release. If you’d like to sound off, be sure to join the discussion in the Matchmaking Feedback section.
At San Diego Comic Con 2015 343 Industries held two panels (VoDs will hopefully be available soon), hosted a real life Breakout arena with BOOMco Halo toys, released a brand new Halo 5: Guardians ViDoc “A Hero Reborn” and a trailer for Halo: The Fall of Reach Animated Series.
For more information check out our recap of the Halo news from SDCC 2015 – Click Here
Also check out the BOOMco Halo 5 Breakout Arena Celebrity Match featuring Blake Anderson, Anders Holms, and Kyle Newacheck of the Workaholics, 2015 World Cup Champion Carli Lloyd of the U.S. Womens National Soccer Team, and other celebrities as they take on some familiar faces from 343 Industries.
Last week during SDCC a brand new Warzone map, Raid on Apex 7, was revealed with some help from Mega Bloks. A giant Mega Bloks set with over 89,500 pieces was built for the unveiling. You can check out the reveal video here. Raid on Apex 7 is the largest multiplayer map to date and is inspired by The Silent Cartographer campaign mission from Halo: Combat Evolved.
In this community update we’re given a look into the design process of the map with Multiplayer Level Designer Jeremy Raymond, Environment Artist Chin Fong, and Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin. Here are some of the development goals for the map as listed by Kevin Franklin.
- Epic Scale – Apex 7 is among the largest of all of our Warzone Maps
- Island Paradise – We were heavily inspired by The Silent Cartographer, AI beach assault at the beginning of each game is a great example of this. The art team has done an amazing job of creating this beautiful battleground.
- Opposing Bases – Apex 7 has a unique layout as the team home bases face away from each other.
- BTB Style Vehicle Combat – We drew quite a bit of inspiration from vehicle combat and battles on BTB experiences like Valhalla and Paradiso.
- Mystery – Fitting with a remote Installation on a Halo Ring, we ensured there were many hidden areas to engage bosses in, the home bases also feature passageways to the center. I expect it will take many playtests for players to find and hunt down all of the bosses in Raid Apex 7.
- Massive Forerunner landmark – Our environment artist Chin Fong really knocked this out of the park with this one – it also serves as the central base and main contest point of the map.
Check out the community update to hear more from the Warzone design team and a look at the prototypes for the map’s design.
To cap off the community update, 343 announced that there will be a Halo 5: Guardians Invitational at Gamescom this year. Similar to the invitational held last year for Halo 2 Anniversary. The tournament will take place Friday, August 7th in the ESL Arena on the Gamescom show floor. This will be our first look at high-stakes 4v4 arena gameplay.
Four top team have been invited, three representing Europe and one from North America:
Epsilon Esports (EU)
- Roster: BUK20, BUK57, Jimbo, Snipedrone
- Roster: Ramirez, TuFoxy, Chalkie, Riotz
- Roster: Flamez, Vard, Snakey, Hollers
OpTic Gaming (NA)
- Roster: Flamesword, Ace, Assault, Maniac
You can tune into the action on the Halo Channel (now available on iOS and Android devices) and over on Twitch.tv/Halo to get the first look at pre-launch Arena tournament goodness. 343 will share more about the teams, format, maps, and more as we get closer to the event. Gamescom is held in Cologne, Germany and takes place August 5-9th.