• BioWare San Francisco Shut Down

In latest news, the Bioware branch of EA Games in San Francisco has been shutdown. A source within the company told Gamesradar that the 25 to 30 employees currently running the branch have been laid off. The branch was most notable for developing Dragon Age: Legends for Facebook and the browser-based game, Mirror's Edge 2D.

Electronic Arts has found it "too expensive" to produce social and browser-based games from Redwood Shores, CA. The current status on the departed employees is unknown. EA has not come out with an official statement on this event, however, this shutdown may have been a continuation of last months EA layoff, which saw employees in several 'small' locations being laid off.

IGN, Gamesradar, and others have since expressed their affection to those effected by this sudden event.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: BioWare San Francisco Shut Down started by Velocity View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Spartan -
      This doesn't really surprise me in the least. Browser games and Mobile games looked real promising to a lot of people for a while, but the flare has kind of died down. Now they're realizing that they put a ton of money into games most people ignore in the first place. Just because the game is officially licensed and related to a well-received game series, doesn't mean it'll do well.

That being said, I do hope that the employees find a good place in other Bioware/EA studios. Their talents could still be put to use, especially given how social network-oriented the next gen of consoles are supposed to be.
      Velocity -
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
      This doesn't really surprise me in the least. Browser games and Mobile games looked real promising to a lot of people for a while, but the flare has kind of died down. Now they're realizing that they put a ton of money into games most people ignore in the first place. Just because the game is officially licensed and related to a well-received game series, doesn't mean it'll do well.

That being said, I do hope that the employees find a good place in other Bioware/EA studios. Their talents could still be put to use, especially given how social network-oriented the next gen of consoles are supposed to be.
      Yeah that is a fair point, Mobile/ browser games don't anywhere near the attention that console games do.
      DoubleForte -
      Mobile and social games have never excited me in the slightest, so this doesn't surprise me either. However, it is always pretty sad to hear of game studios getting laid off. That many people losing work always sucks.
      HBBGVankara -
      Wait, is that the only Bioware location?
      Velocity -
      Quote Originally Posted by HBBGVankara View Post
      Wait, is that the only Bioware location?
      No no, it's just the San Francisco branch
      Allissasaurus -
      Praying for those that were laid off and wishing them the best. I'm sure they'll find work soon as there were several talented people on that team.
      all else failed -
      A result of the every evolving corporate gaming industry, and the economic downturn. EA will be fine...those San Fran employees will be too considering where they live and the opportunities for those with their skill sets.

And I never play mobile games, facebook games, or browser games...out side of the old RUL arcade.
  • RUL on YouTube

• RUL on Twitter

• RUL on Facebook

• Friends of RUL

• Recent Threads

Chewy Targaryen

Halo: Nightfall SDCC First-Look

Thread Starter: Chewy Targaryen

With less than four month until the release of The Master Chief Collection, and Halo: Nightfall along

Last Post By: Splice 5 Hours Ago Go to last post
    CulturalLemur

Who wants to play Destiny? (X360)

Thread Starter: CulturalLemur

I wondered if anyone here would like to play some Destiny Beta together on X360. I started playing yesterday and I already hit lvl. 8 as Titan. We could

Last Post By: CulturalLemur 23 Hours Ago Go to last post
    Chief Canuck

RUL Podcast - Episode 6

Thread Starter: Chief Canuck

Welcome back for another episode of the RUL Podcast! The latest and greatest in the world of video games from the team at Ready Up Live. As always hosted

Last Post By: Velociraptor 8 Hours Ago Go to last post
    Greenskull

Destiny Beta Sparrow Tricks

Thread Starter: Greenskull

<iframe width="600" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A_VOZ3lg_6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last Post By: Tyzer 18 Hours Ago Go to last post